I add greens like kale to most everything. Here is one recipe that lets kale (or any other healthy green leafy veggie) stand and shine alone!
- 1 bunch kale (maybe about 1#)
- 2 Tbsp.olive oil
- 2-4 large cloves garlic (mince 10 minutes prior to heating to maximize the activity of the cancer fighting molecules)
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- black sesame seeds
- To prepare the kale, remove the leaves from the stems and chop coarsely.
- Wash and shake the leaves but leave them slightly damp.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan, saute the garlic (do not let it brown),
- add about 1 cup of kale leaves, then keep adding and stirring all the kale leaves until all the leaves are slightly wilted.
Makes 4 generous servings. Sprinkle with a dash of vinegar and sesame seeds before serving. This is so good that I always eat any left over while I am cleaning up the kitchen.
Where kale is more than decoration on my plate!
Diana Dyer, MS, RD