This recipe was submitted to my original website www.CancerRD.com years and years ago by Margaret Norrington of Bangor, ME. Thus Margaret also calls this great soup Coast-wise Kale Soup. No matter its name, it tastes great!
- 1 cup of coarsely chopped yellow onion
- 10 cups of vegetable broth (homemade or a low-sodium store version or water)
- 1 cup dried brown lentils (wash in colendar)
- 2 cups of potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (I use Yukon Gold which taste great, look great, and also hold their shape)
- 2 - 4 carrots, peeled and cut into coins ~1/4" thick (I added these for color and their phytochemicals)
- 1 pound fresh kale -wash and then shred or tear into small pieces, remove stems
- 1 package soy sausage (either links or patties - many brands available - or use a sausage made with organic ingredients of your choice)
- Season with salt to taste if needed. I did not add any salt.
- fresh mint sprigs
Serve with a whole grain bread and fresh fruit and a green salad. Nothing else is needed for a nourishing and healthful meal.
Both my husband and 17 year old son declared this recipe a keeper!! My younger son is now 29 years old, so that gives you an idea of how long we have been making and loving this soup!
Enjoy - yum, yum!
Where kale is more than decoration on my plate!
Diana Dyer, MS, RD