Here is a basic recipe that makes about 12 ounces or 1-1/2 cups, which can be one serving or two.
• 3/4 cup chilled unsweetened soy milk (or other non-dairy or dairy milk)
• 3/4 cup chilled juice (for these photos I used 100% pear juice)
• ~10 'baby carrots' (or wash and cut up one medium carrot into 1/2 inch chunks)
• 2 medium size kale leaves - strip leaves from the thick stem, tear into smallish pieces, which was about 2 cups of loosely packed kale leaves (I used the curly kale from the grocery store this time - I will try different varieties when I get to the farmers' market this coming weekend)
• 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
• 1 teaspoon honey or to taste (I prefer my smoothies to be less sweet than other people)
Put all into a blender, start slowly and then turn onto high, blending a minute or two until completely smooth, pour into a glass and enjoy!
PS - Our dog loves eating the kale stems!
PPS - There is a noticeable 'vegetable' smell when removing the top of the blender, which is not strong or 'objectionable' at all when actually drinking the smoothie.
PPS - I use organic ingredients everywhere possible.
|(Photo: Kale Smoothie Ingredients, left to right: baby carrots, 100% pear juice, our honey, unsweetened soy milk, flaxseed, kale leaves)|
|(Photo: Blender, kale smoothie from above ingredients)|
|(Photo: Kale smoothie from above ingredients, made the next day, different glass, different light)|
|(Photo: Kale smoothie, different glass)|
Where kale is more than decoration on my plate!
Diana Dyer, MS, RD